GSM: Global System for Mobile communication
GSM Full Form
GSM full form stands for Global System for Mobile communication. The GSM full form (Global System for Mobile Communications) is a standard developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI).
GSM describes the second-generation (2G) protocol of digital cellular networks used by mobile devices such as mobile phones and tablets. It was first released in Finland in December 1991. By mid-2010, it had become a global standard for mobile communications, occupying more than 90% of the market share and operating in 193 countries and regions.
Europe produced the first agreed GSM technical specification in February 1987. The ministers of the four major EU countries strengthened their political support for the GSM system in the Bonn Declaration on Global Information Networks issued in May and submitted a GSM Memorandum of Understanding for signature in September. The memorandum of understanding attracted mobile operators from all over Europe to commit to investing in new GSM networks on an ambitious joint date.
Advantages & Disadvantages
Here are some advantages of GSM
- The GSM system is very secure because its equipment and facilities cannot be easily copied. It provides customers with global roaming services to roam around the world.
- It has extensive coverage all over the world.
- Clear voice calls and efficient use of spectrum.
- Compatible with various phones, accessories, integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN), and other telephone company services.
- Advanced functions such as SMS, caller ID, call hold, call forwarding, etc.
Here are some disadvantages of GSM
- The biggest disadvantage of GSM is that many users share the same bandwidth. This may cause interference and bandwidth limitations due to interference.
- Another disadvantage of GSM is that it may cause electronic interference. This is why sensitive places such as hospitals and airplanes require mobile phones to be turned off, otherwise, it may interfere with hospital equipment and airplanes.
What Is The Full Form Of GSM?
GSM full form stands for Global System for Mobile communication. The GSM standard originally described a circuit-switched digital network optimized for full-duplex voice telephony. “GSM” is a trademark of the GSM Association. It may also (temporarily) refer to the most popular audio codec.
Next Topic: SDM Full Form