FTP: File Transfer Protocol
FTP Full Form
FTP full form stands for File Transfer Protocol. The File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard communication protocol that is used to transfer computer files from a server to a client on a computer network.
FTP client – a server model built on an architecture that uses separate control and data connections between the client and the server.
- The original description for the file transfer protocol was written by Abhay Bhushan and was published on 16 April 1971 under the name RFC 114.
- By 1980, FTP went to NCP, the precursor to PTC / IP.
- This protocol was later replaced by the TCP / IP version of the current description, RFC 765 (June 1980) and RFC 959 (October 1985).
- Several standards modified in RFC 959, for example, RFC 1579 (February 1994) enable firewall-friendly FTP (passive mode), RFC 2228 (June 1997), added security RFC2428 (September 1998), and explained support for IPv6.
FTP users can usually authenticate themselves with a clear-text sign-in protocol in the form of a username and password but can communicate anonymously if the server is configured to allow them.
Prior to the graphical user interface in the operating system, FTP full form (File Transfer Protocol) client applications developed command-line programs, and are still shipped with most Windows, Unix, and Linux operating systems.
Many FTP client and automation utilities have been developed for desktops, servers, mobile devices, and hardware, and FTP has been incorporated into productive applications such as HTML applications.
In January 2021, support for the FTP protocol was disabled in Google Chrome (as of version 88), and was also disabled in other browsers such as Firefox.
Differences Between FTP And HTTP
- FTP consists of a state-controlled connection that maintains the existing working directory and other flags, and each transfer requires a secondary connection through which data is transmitted.
- FTP full form (File Transfer Protocol) control connection setup is slow due to the delay in sending all the required commands and waiting for a reply round trip.
- When the FTP data is transmitted through a connection, the control connection becomes worthless.
- HTTP is a state-of-the-art and popular port number that have multiplex control and data over a single connection from the client to server, passing through a net gateway and making it easy to manage firewalls.
- In contrast, HTTP actually dropped the connection after each transfer because it was much cheaper to do so.
- A single HTTP connection between requests is simply useless and common.
What Is The Full Form Of FTP?
FTP full form stands for File Transfer Protocol. It is a standard communication protocol that is used to transfer computer files from a server to a client on a computer network. FTP client applications developed command-line programs, and are still shipped with most Windows, Unix, and Linux operating systems.
Next Topic: CFA Full Form